Sunday, August 19, 2012

Are We There Yet?

It's been 3 years and 8 months and I ask, "what have you done?" What have "we" done? Barack Obama has been President of the United States for 3 years and 8 months and what have we done as a nation to advance the causes of human rights, civil rights, health care rights and education for the people of this great nation?

Photo by: Matt MacGillivary
President Obama asked us at the beginning of his term to turn off the TVs, help our children with their homework and be parents to them. He asked every American not only to back him for four years but also to be conscious in our daily actions to lead this country to the great nation we know it to be. We have less than 3 months until hopefully there's another victory. And still, I wonder, have we done our part?

It's hard to read the paper or turn on the news and see bigotry projected at our President, violent crimes persisting among youth, the mentally ill ignored by a nation that still thinks mental illness is set aside for "other people." It's hard to do all of that and not be discouraged. But everyday I get up and ask myself how I can be better, do better, learn more, make a lasting difference in this world? And though I may not have all of the answers yet or know if I'm doing enough all the time, I do know that I don't want to ever stop seeking and doing more. Because I believe when you stop asking questions of yourself you stop challenging yourself, you stop thinking you have a part in making a difference in your environment, in your country, in this world.

Though I know who I'll cast my vote for in November, I also know that I have to remain hopeful for me and for those around me. For no matter what limits others may set before you know that your mind can take you places that at times not even your body may be able to take you.

Be encouraged!

Asha...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home